Though this cartoon, "Create or Die" is less than a week old, it seemed to really resonate with people, and by the time the end of last week rolled around, the number of people emailing me about this image almost equaled those who voted for Wolf v. Sheep. So, being the kind of person that hates to disappoint, I decided to damn the torpedoes and go ahead and publish it, as it seems to make lots of people happy.
The cartoon was inspired by a dialog I had going with one of my clients, Dell Computers, just before Christmas. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this "creativity" thing isn't just a Dell issue, it applies to all of us.
Like I said in my previous blog post:
In this globalized, hyper-linked, internet-enabled world, "Boring" has suddenly become a very expensive luxury.I can't tell you what to make. I can't tell you what your customers will find interesting or useful. I can't tell you what's going to knock their socks off. I can't tell you what "Create" means to you or somebody else.
I want to make limited-edition prints that somehow, even in a small, indirect way, helps make companies and individuals less afraid, and more willing to be CREATIVE, more willing to embrace the CREATIVITY that they already have. Because economically and spiritually, that is ultimately where our future lies, even if that idea sometimes terrifies us.
But I will tell you, I AM RIGHT about this one. Create or Die. That's why I wanted to make this into a print. Something on the wall to serve as a steady reminder.
[The Small Print:]
1. It'll be printed around the end of April, and will retail at $450.00. Not yet sure on the edition size, we'll decide when it is going to print, all hand-signed and numbered by me. Using the Paypal button below to make a $100 deposit, you can own at the pre-publication price of $265.00. The pre-pub price will expire by Thursday. Any orders after that, but before the publication date can buy it for $350.00. The minute the image is printed, the price reverts back to $450.00.Thanks, as always, for your love and support!
[UPDATE: The PayPal Deposit has been removed.]
2. To secure your pre-order, please use the PayPal button above to make a $100 deposit. The PayPal form will ask you for all your details [including your preferred shipping address], which of course we'll have for our records. Why are we asking for a deposit? To weed out the spammers, flakes and trolls out there [This is the Internet, after all], leaving only committed buyers in the mix. No other reason.
3. When asked for your details, please include your real name, not just your business name. The shipper won't deliver it otherwise.
4. The print will be ready to ship in 4-6 weeks from today. We'll email you another PayPal for the outstanding invoice once the artwork is printed and packed.
5. We'll be printing these to the same high standards as last time i.e. top-of-the-line inks and paper, approx 24" x 35" in dimension. If for some reason, I don't like the way the colors lay down when I am proofing it, I reserve the right to change the colors and if you don't like the final image, you can have your deposit back, no questions asked.
6. Shipping & handling [approx $45 USA, $65 abroad] is not included in the price. The buyer is also responsible for any Customs & Excise outside the USA. We ship them flat, not rolled.
7. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me an email at email@example.com, and either Laura or me will answer them.