This one made me smile. Thanks to Chas Grundy.
A Sports Fan’s Manifesto
* Love sports for sports’ sake.
* Recognize greatness in even sports you don’t like.
* Recognize talent and dedication and skill and success for what it is—a positive thing.
* Respect players for their abilities and success, even if they are the “enemy.”
* It is wrong to hate a team or player for their success.
* Don’t let your own fandom blind you to reality.
* Failure helps you see where to improve.
* Being a fan is a fickle, arbitrary experience. You cheer for a team because of location, because it’s your school, or because you were born into a fan’s family.
* It’s OK to temporarily care about a game even when you don’t care about the teams, the game, or the outcome.
* Sports are entertainment, but can be addicting. Don’t let sports ruin your relationships, your job, or your health.